I'll try to give you a brief (as brief as possible) run down of all that has happened in the last six months. Wow! It's hard to believe it's been that long.
I spend Easter weekend in New Mexico with a dear friend. We went camping with his best friend's family and had a great time. I confess, at the time, I was hoping that, eventually, something more would come out of our friendship. About a month after my visit with him, I finally accepted that we can not be more than friends.
I'd been giddy about him since he found me on facebook. As soon as I accepted that we were only ever going to be friends, the giddy feeling evaporated. What I found in my heart after wards is the most amazing feeling I have ever had. It is one of Peace and Joy, a true gift from God.
To back up a little, in March I had the opportunity to travel to California to attend the baptism on one of my nieces. I'm very grateful for my father's generosity in getting me there. He was, also, there and we were able to sing a duet together for the first time that I can remember. It was wonderful.
While in California, Papa asked me if I would like to become friends with his friend, Rey. My response, "Sure, I can use all the friends I can get. We won't ever be more than friends because he's too short for me to wear heals and still be shorter than him; he lives in the Philippines and I'm NOT moving to the Philippines and I can't afford to sponsor him to the States, but I can use all the friends I can get." After that speech, (and, yes, I really did say that) Papa wrote to Rey about me suggesting that we become friends. Later, I learned that Papa was responding to a Spiritual prompting when he asked for my permission to suggest to Rey that we become friends.
So, Rey and I began communicating, mostly through letters and the occasional chat. At this time, I was still giddy over the friend in New Mexico. When the giddy feeling evaporated, the peace and joy I found underneath was for Rey. It truly took me by surprise, but it was so wonderful that I began praying about Rey and the feelings I had discovered.
Rey and I have grown to truly love each other over the months that have passed since then. We are great friends. Rey has truly been a blessing to me. We are excited to meet in person in a few more months. Meanwhile, the list of things we have in common, even though we live a world apart, continues to grow. I am amazed at the number of times we express the same thought at the same time during our chats.
On Mother's Day, Rey called me and sang to me. It was beautiful.
When Papa visited the Philippines again in May, Rey sent some things back to the States for Anna and I. I am amazed at his generosity and thoughtfulness. The two purses he picked out and sent to me are the nicest I have ever owned.
I am looking forward to Rey teaching me to Tango. He competed in ballroom dance in high school and the Tango is his favorite. I love to dance, too.
The most important thing we have in common, is the Gospel of Jesus Christ and our commitment to it.
I have truly been blessed.
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment