Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tonight's Insight: Feelings

Sundays tend to be challenging days for me lately because I'm very often alone for most of the day. As someone with strong extrovert tendencies, this often leads to strong feelings of loneliness. Today was no different until this evening.

This evening, I made the decision (and succeeded in carrying it out) to go for a walk in the rain. Though it was barely raining when I walked and I didn't walk very far, the physical sensations of the wind and rain on my skin helped to assuage the emotional turmoil inside of me.  I'm thinking that perhaps when my body is lacking in physical sensation, my brain responds by triggering my heart to feel too much.

Thus begins my experiment. When I sense the emotions becoming overwhelming, I will seek out safe and appropriate physical stimulation to help me cope in a healthier way for myself and for those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment