Sunday, August 25, 2013

Motivation, The Myth

We are taught from a young age that the "right" motivation will enable us to accomplish any goal. We teach this to our children by offering both positive and negative consequences and then are baffled when they make choices that lead to the opposite of what they wanted. Yet, we do the same thing ourselves.

How many times have you set a goal in a motivated moment only to find it nearly impossible to maintain the motivation long enough to achieve the goal? I know I'm guilty of this. I also see it in those around me every day.

What are we missing? What are we not teaching our children? Commitment. I propose that it is commitment and not motivation which enables us to achieve our goals. Think about it. When we are truly committed to something, it becomes a priority. When we make something a priority, we do all we can to arrange our lives around seeing that priority accomplished.

So, commit yourself to your goals; make your goals a priority. Then, you will see them come to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment