Sometimes I wish I could turn off my heart. And, yet, I know
how miserable life is not being able to feel. For most of my life I’ve been “accused”
of being too sensitive. In a world where all too often deep emotions are unappreciated
and seen as inappropriate, being one who feels deeply has not been easy. Mine
has often been a lonely path much like the one described by Robert Frost.
The
Road Not Taken
BY ROBERT FROST
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted
wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
A few years ago, I experienced the greatest shock of my
life. In the process of adjusting to the changes brought about by this shock, I
began to shut off myself from my emotions. I was so successful that, earlier
this year, someone described me as the most “Zen” person they knew. I was a bit
taken aback by that. Those who have known me my whole life would have thought I’d
been possessed by aliens.
Recently, I began to not just let myself feel again, but to
accept my emotions as they are. This includes accepting and finding joy in the
fact that I can and do love many people, including some who will not or cannot
love me back. Perhaps in time, they will learn to love as I am striving to do,
but, if not, I am still blessed for loving them.
In many ways, my life has been “The Road Less Traveled” and
it continues to be. I am becoming someone I can love and admire and therein
lies a very great lesson and blessing. Like Robert Frost attests in his
poem, “I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”
No comments:
Post a Comment